Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Weird Day

A weird way to start out this week. My apologies for the way everything transpired today, but everything seemed to work out okay. I learned that I need to be a little more prepared for such an event. If you read this, and you have changed your address, phone number or contacts could you let me know about those changes. As I started calling I found three phone numbers were disconnected and one person I never received any contact information for, to be able to call in an emergency.

I am sure grateful to Mrs. Burt who had everything ready to teach an art lesson instead of computers, she kept the kids on task and concentrating on school, while I took care of business.

Well, this week will be short, but I still have to squeeze in five days worth of content. Here is an overview that I was planning on presenting with the students this morning.

Daily Grams: Capitalizing, Punctuation (with abbreviations), Proper and Possessive Nouns, how to use helping verbs, and a review of Past Tense verbs, and we will also do some Alphabetizing.
Spelling: working with words that have the /oi/ sound. There are only two ways to spell the /oi/ sound, either oi or oy. The easy way to remember which spelling to use is to follow the rule that if the /oi/ sound is at the end of the word use oy, because English words do not end in "i."
Handwriting: We will continue our discussion this week of how to do capital letters in cursive.

Reading: Our theme this week is the "Art of Illustrating." Our emphasis will be on understanding text structure (understanding what kind of text we are reading - to entertain or to inform) and chronological order. So for example did Goldilocks eat the bowls of porridge first or did she find a comfy bed to sleep on.  The students will be excited for the extra opportunities to be Illustrators.

Mathematics: We are ready to start into division, scary but I think an introduction helps the students solidify their understanding of multiplication. Keep up the great work with their Times Tables. I had 8 - 11 students pass of their times tables, last week.

Science: Aaron has been anxiously waiting for some guidance in finding some Science Fair Ideas, and we just never have enough time. Today, we were going to go over some of those ideas, but we will have to do that on Thursday. I will post some science fair links along with our ideas from that discussion then. Only two more weeks until the Century Science Fair!

Just a note of accomplishment, I probably shouldn't, but I wanted to congratulate all the students on some exceptional performances on their spelling and reading tests last week. They all showed improvement. For me, that means they are learning, my number one goal as a teacher. And again thank-you to all the students for handling this morning with patience and maturity, besides I have the best Third Grade class.

No comments:

Mr. Fisher's Third Grade Calendar 2010